Wednesday, August 16, 2023

God Hears our Cries

Yesterday when I was reading my Bible, I came to this scripture in Isaiah: 38 In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.” 2 Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3 “Remember, Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly. 4 Then the word of the Lord came to Isaiah: 5 “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life. Sometimes people come into your life and make an impact. We all know those folks. When I worked my first "real" job, I worked with a sweet Christian woman who mentored and poured into me. Years later I worked at a hospital and ran into her and her husband. She was being discharged home after a tumuloutous stay. She has a terminal chronic illness, had some medical complications. She was still as beautiful as ever, but it broke my heart seeing her so frail and so ill. A week or so later, I read the scripture above about Hezekiah and I prayed that God would remember her faithfulness. She had gone on several mission trips, was faithful in her church and to her family. I asked that God would restore her health and give her many more years than 15. I don't recall how long that has been, but it has been several years. I have enjoyed from afar watching her with her growing family through social media. Although I don't keep close touch to know the daily ins and outs of her health, it appears she is healthy and vibrant enough to enjoy her family and still attend church. Today, I am in a different but similar situation. Once again, my heart is troubled over a loved ones health. Then, in my daily reading, I read this scripture. I am asking God to remember my loved ones faithfulness and to give him greater than 15 years of life and health. I do believe God has heard my cries over the last 8 months, and has given me this scripture on the day before we go to discuss further treatment. God is reminding me about HIS faithfullness and that He hears our cries. And sometimes, He changes the outcome!

No comments: